Give it a Minute
When our house was on the market, we instituted a rule in the house. Chantelle got the idea from Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project. It's called the One Minute Rule. In short, if it takes less than a minute to do, you have to do it now. The goal was to keep our house show-ready in case we had an interested buyer and had to leave at a moment's notice so our realtor could walk them through. I've tried to keep this rule going for myself in our apartment because it's such a small space and when it looks untidy, it stresses me out. Here's what I've learned since I've been applying the One Minute Rule (since around Jan/Feb):
- A minute is a long-ass time. Seriously. You can do a lot in a minute, which is great when it comes to the goal of keeping the house tidy, but sucks when all you want to do is go sit on the couch.
- There are things that you think take longer than a minute, which is why you delay, but do not. These include:
- Moving the laundry from the washer into the dryer
- Going through junk mail and throwing it in the garbage
- Putting your coat in the coat closet instead of [insert literally any other place here]
- Putting the hot bean bag you used to tend to a sore muscle back where it belongs once it's not hot anymore so that the next time you have a sore muscle, you don't have to tear the place apart looking for it.
- And, the worst 1 minute discovery - folding a fitted sheet. Whether all you do is roll it up into a ball and put it where the sheets go or you fold it neatly, it's less than a minute.
- You'll kinda wish this rule was in your life long ago. It helps you feel accomplished; like you have your shit together; like an adult. I don't know about you, but I don't get that feeling often so, when I do, I enjoy it.
- You will, inevitably, get Missy Elliot's "One Minute Man" stuck in your head... every time. You're welcome.
- You'll have to admit, on your blog, that you had that song stuck in your head on the regular even before this whole rule came into your life. So now it's really the only song you have in your head on a loop 24-7. At least it's one Missy's songs you understand the lyrics to.
- Read a blog post! :)